DLL Endeavor Part 1

|
A personal project I am working on at the moment consists of about 8 projects within a single solution. Each of these projects was compiling to a static library and then those were being linked into the executable application. This isn't necessarily a bad approach, but the aspect of it that baked my noodle was how, as the project was growing, different parts of it were simply including whatever was needed from any other project.

So i got thinking. The first idea that sprang to mind was to convert all of the projects to DLLs. I researched a bit on Google, asked a few colleagues at work and contacts online and generally speaking there wasn't a solid resource on how to do this for large projects. There were plenty of examples I had found where an application was linked to a single DLL which in itself is a trivial task, but nothing for larger scale projects.

By the end of the conversion I had gone through three iterations of complete conversion, each distinctly better than the last. I have also learned alot (but no doubt not everything) about DLLs and programming practices along the way and over next few blog entries I intend to share this with you as well as the thought processes i went through.

Stay tuned.

0 comments: